Founded in 1983, Compass Surveying Ltd. is dedicated solely to the profession of land surveying and providing services throughout Illinois.
We are a land surveying leader because we understand the complexities of land boundaries, real estate transactions and land development. We also understand how our surveying expertise relates to all others involved in the planning, design, engineering and construction processes.
From the initial planning and design phase through construction and completion, our highly experienced professionals have a proven track record in delivering accurate surveys, measurements, maps and data for all sizes of public and private projects.
Because our industry is ever changing, we have been early adapters of the best available tools and techniques since our first days in business. Today, our survey specialists use the most current state-of-the-art technology such as robotics, GPS, laser scanning and drones to serve our clients more efficiently than ever before.
The quality and delivery of our work directly impacts budgets and schedules. Your success determines ours, and we will strive to ensure our surveying services help move your project forward.
- American Public Works Association (APWA)
- Illinois GIS Association (ILGISA)
- Illinois Professional Land Surveyors Association (IPLSA)
- International Right of Way Association (IRWA)
- Missouri Association of Registered Land Surveyors (MARLS)
- National Association for Industrial and Office Parks (NAIOP)
- National Society of Professional Land Surveyors (NSPS)
- Wisconsin Society of Land Surveyors (WSLS)
Michael Filipski, Professional Surveyor, Founder, President
Mike has over 47 years of practical land surveying experience in northeast Illinois, including having earned his PLS license and founded Compass both in 1983. His specializations include Boundary Law, Land Boundary Issues, Construction Staking issues, ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys, Right-of-Ways and Easements for commercial, industrial, residential and renewable-energy projects.
- Chairperson of the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation Land Surveyors Licensing Board
- Executive editor of the 640‐page book Illinois Boundary Law by land surveyor and attorney Jeffery Lucas
- Recipient of the “Pat” Patterson Surveyor of the Year Award (out of 1,200 surveyors) presented by the Illinois Professional Land Surveyors Association
- Illinois Governor (2004–2008) to the National Society of Professional Surveyors representing Illinois land surveyors at the national level
- Executive editor of Illinois Laws Relating to Surveys, Title and Real Property (West Publishing and the northeast chapter of the Illinois Professional Land Surveyors Association)
David Filipski, Professional Surveyor, Founding Partner, Executive V.P.
David has over 35 years of practical land surveying experience with Compass, including more than 20 years as a PLS. His specializations include ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys, Boundary Surveys, Topographic Surveys and Construction Staking for school, commercial, industrial, warehouse and residential projects throughout Illinois.
Scott Krebs, Professional Surveyor, Partner, Senior V.P.
Scott has over 30 years of practical land surveying experience with Compass, including more than 17 years as a PLS. His specializations include ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys, Boundary Surveys, Utility ROW Mapping, Topographic Surveys and Construction Staking for residential, commercial, industrial, warehouse and energy-related projects.
Daniel Walter, Professional Surveyor, V.P. Operations
Dan has over 20 years of practical land surveying experience with Compass, including more than 16 years as a PLS. His specializations include ALTA/NSPS Land Title Surveys, Boundary Surveys, Topographic Surveys and Construction Staking for residential, commercial, retail, school and solar-farm projects.